The 135th Durham Miners’ Gala will be held on Saturday 13th July. UCU are assembling at 8am for an 8.30am departure at the junction of North Road and Sutton Street by the viaduct near the old County Hospital (now Rushford Court).
We are proud to announce that Bearpark and Esh Colliery Band and the Esh Winning Colliery banner will be leading the UCU march. Bearpark and Esh are the nearest colliery band to Durham University and have a number of university staff and students as band members. We will march to the racecourse, pausing outside the County Hotel at Old Elvet for the band to play their “party piece” to the invited guests on the balcony.
- Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party
- Dave Prentis, UNISON General Secretary
- Rebecca Long Bailey MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Business, energy & Industrial Strategy
- Laura Pidcock MP, Shadow Minister for Labour
- Len McCluskey, Unite General Secretary
- Shami Chakrabarti, Shadow Attorney General
- Dave Ward, The Communications Union General Secretary
- Kevin Courtney NEU General Secretary
- Doug Nicholls, General Secretary of the General Federation of Trade Unions.
After the meeting we will march out at 2.30pm.
This year the region will be joined by UCU General Secretary Jo Grady, UCU President Douglas Chalmers, President Elect Nita Sanghera, Honorary Treasurer Steve Sangwine, NEC member Joanna de Groot plus Vicky Knight.
Confirmed UCU branch attendance:
Please provide Emma Alexander with any media you take on the day. If you tweet please include #UCUNorth
A reminder that the centre of Durham is closed to traffic. There are three large park-and-ride car parks. For a location map, click here. You can also park at Houghall campus. General information about the Gala: durhamminers.org/gala
See you there!