- This event has passed.
H&S 1: Induction (Role and functions), 31st January – 2nd February 2018, Gateshead
31 January 2018 @ 9:30 am - 2 February 2018 @ 4:30 pm
This course is aimed at all new and existing health and safety reps who have received no training. We also encourage branch officers to apply.
Every UCU branch should have at least one lead health and safety rep who sits on the branch committee. In addition it is good practice to have a branch network of health and safety reps to represent members working in different buildings, departments and faculties.
H&S 1: Induction (health & safety reps role and functions)
This three-day module forms the first part of a six-day training programme organised into two modules.
The course will cover:
- the role and functions of a safety rep
- how to obtain facilities and time off to carry out the safety rep’s function
- using the safety reps and safety committee regulations
- employers’ duties under health and safety legislation
- a trade union and equal opportunities approach to health and safety
- how to organise UCU members around hazards at work
- develop essential safety rep skills.