Message from UCU General Secretary Sally Hunt to branches:
UCU is committed to achieving improved mental health support for members and branches are encouraged to ensure that institutions address the workplace issues that can attribute to poor mental health such as increased workloads, stress, bullying and harassment.
Mental Health Awareness week is observed 14-20 May 2018 and UCU branches are asked to use the week to raise awareness and to help remove the stigma and discrimination that people living and working with a mental health issues and/or condition face daily by:
- Downloading and displaying our latest Mental Health Awareness poster
- Review existing policies or develop a mental health policy for staff
- Host a coffee morning or branch meeting to discuss how your branch, college or university addresses the issue of mental health in the workplace looking at the type of support given to individuals with a mental health condition and issue. How effective is the support provided?
- Read our guidance material on supporting members with mental health issues and conditions ucu.org.uk/article/1940/Equality-advice-and-guidance#Disability
- Update you skills and understanding the issues faced by members and how you can support them. Visit our training web pages for further information ucu.org.uk/training